Search This Blog

Monday, December 31, 2018

Rating Book To Film Adaptions

Let's get down to business to defeat . . .

Ok sorry we're not defeating anything, we're just going to agonizingly talk about film adaptions of some books I've read and I'm going to rate them on a 1-10 scale on how good they were!

I'm going to list a book and rate it, 1 being the 'film adaption' has absolutely nothing in common with the book and 10 being it's a five hour adaption with every scene in the book making it into the movie.

Let us start this agonizing remembrance of how many times we've been robbed or pleasantly surprised.



Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda 
8.5/10

I know some people will argue with me on this but gosh damn they did this movie justice and you can pry this rating out of my cold dead hands. I cried tears of joy just for the pure fact of how accurate to the book it was. Other movie makers and script writers, take notes. This was almost pure perfection.

Of course it wasn't a 10, but it's still one of the best book to movie adaptions I've seen in a while. It might actually be the best adaption I’ve seen overall. And I'm so proud that it was a gay romcom.



Percy Jackson
3/10

Don’t hurt me for this one. I know many would probably give it a straight up 1, but let’s take a moment and be kind (even though they completely botched the movie and I’d like to take a fork to the hand of the person who thought it would be a good idea to stray this far from the book). We just need to take a step back from our anger and notice the accurate things that they put in the movies.

The names, they’re at a camp, children of gods, the parents to the children, uuummm I’m running out of correct things, they have to retrieve the bolt and give it to Zues, Gabe, that Meduse head at the end.  There’s probably more but wow, small details. Not much. I really had to search hard for those.

AND THAT SECOND MOVIE. JUST CAUSE YOU DYED HER HAIR BLONDE-



Beautiful Creatures
4.5/10

The movie was alright. It wasn't the worst movie adaption, but it also wasn't the best. I'm a bit indifferent to it. Would I watch it again? Yes. Was I disappointed when I first watched the movie? Yes.

But now it's been so long since I read the books that I could probably watch the movie without feeling frustrated with it. So I'm giving it a 4.5, still more accurate than Percy Jackson but not accurate enough to be considered a good adaption. To be honest this rating is strictly based off of me going "that wasn't in the book" to my mom in the movie theater and the old people going "This movie was so good" in front of us and all I wanted to do was lean forward and whisper, "It's a book and that [whatever part it was] wasn't in the book. They could have done way better." Early teens me would be very disappointed if I gave this one a higher rating, I just know it.



Eragon
2/10

I'm being a bit mean here because I could probably give it a 2.5, but I'm tired of giving half ratings right now. Let's be real right now, the Eragon movie is the worst book to film adaption. I first watched the movie when I was a little kid. I didn't know it was a book and when I got older I got excited only to be crushed by reality when I finally purchased the movie to watch after I read the whole series. My younger heart was in shock at how bad it was.

They could have done so much with that series *Insert tear drop smiling face*. Just like the PJO series, they had so much to work with and they just *insert hand gestures at the mess*.



Harry Potter
7.5/10

They did alright. I will give them that, they did pretty good with what they had. It's one of the adaptions that did alright at sticking to the book considering how big those books are later on in the series. But even the Harry Potter movies are not safe from being snitched out. There are somethings that were changed that shouldn't have been.

*Prepares fork and searches for the fool that thought this was a good idea* Ginny Weasly  deserved better. How far do you have to stray to completely change a character? She just *waves hands frantically* How? Why? I watched the movie first and was pleasantly surprised that she was a bigger and stronger character in the books than she was in the movies. I'm never going to let this one go. Honestly I could go on for ages, they did her dirty by only making her a love interest.

"Did you put your name in the Goblet of Fire?!" HE SAID CALMLY. sorry, but I was rolling at this one because he came bursting in all frantically and it's one of the scenes from the book I remember well. I just had to put that one detail in here.



The only thing I cling to is the fact that nothing will be as bad as the live action movie adaption of the Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoon (Even though it's not a book, it's a cartoon). let's all take a moment to appreciate that we have some version of these characters to watch. But we also need to take a moment to mourn what could have been.

What's your favorite book to movie adaption that not a lot of people like?

No comments:

Post a Comment