Search This Blog

Thursday, January 3, 2019

Field Notes On Love Review

Title: Field Notes On Love
Author: Jeniffer E. Smith
Release Date: March 5, 2019
Age Range: 12 and up
Genre: Contemporary

Stars: 4/5


Synopsis:

Having just been dumped by his girlfriend, British-born Hugo is still determined to take his last-hurrah-before-college train trip across the United States. One snag: the companion ticket is already booked under the name of his ex, Margaret Campbell. Nontransferable, no exceptions.

Enter the new Margaret C. (Mae for short), an aspiring filmmaker with big dreams. After finding Hugo's spare ticket offer online, she's convinced it's the perfect opportunity to expand her horizons.

When the two meet, the attraction is undeniable, and both find more than they bargained for. As Mae pushes Hugo to explore his dreams for his future, he'll encourage her to channel a new, vulnerable side of her art. But when life off the train threatens the bubble they've created for themselves, will they manage to keep their love on track?
  

Review:

This book was just what I needed to get out of my reading slump.

It’s a short and fluffy book that still manages to deal with hard topics that teens face as they head into the next step of their lives, college and/or the great unknown.

Field Notes On Love is pretty accurate in describing how I felt with school coming to an end. Do I go to college right away? Or do I take a gap year and discover myself and explore before deciding what I want to do? But Field Notes On Love confronts more than just the big what do I do now questions, it also confronts the realities of being a teen in a large household, (spoiler) the loss of a loved one (end of spoiler) and young love. She hits it all in just a few hundred pages and a one week long trip on a train.

But Jennifer E. Smith does such a wonderful job at portraying the struggles these young adults are going through that you understand and you feel the struggle and the confusion and for some it’s relatable. This book is soft and innocent yet so true to what many teens struggle with.  I wish I had this book when I felt lost on what I should do after high school.

I'm not a fan of insta love because how do you really know a person in such a short time? But Jennifer did an amazing job at writing their relationship and the feelings they're going through. With their skepticism and the two of them helping each other over come the hurdles holding them back, I actually loved it.

It’s sweet and simple but yet impactful to it’s audience.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen Jenifer E. Smith's books around but I haven't read any books by her. Will keep in this in mind if I need some sweet YA romance read. :)

    ReplyDelete